Like

Friday, July 8, 2016

Me Before You Lookback and Initial Reaction

On July 3rd, 2016, The Emory Film called Me Before You the rom-com of the summer. I had two thoughts. My first thought was "Were there any other rom-coms this summer?" My second thought was "I should share my thoughts on Me Before You instead of passive-aggressively referencing it every other post."

I looked up all the other movies released this summer up until July 3rd..

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - I'm pretty sure that is not a rom-com
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping- Probably not  a rom-com
The Conjouring 2- I don't think that's a rom com
Now You See Me 2- Thriller
Warcraft- I have a suspicion that this is not a rom-com,
Central Intelligence- Doesn't sound like a rom-com
Finding Dory- Excellent movie, but not a rom-com
Independence Day: Resurgence- Not a rom-com
Free State of Jones- Doubt that's a rom-com
The Shallows-It has a shark so it's not a rom-com
The BFG-Not a rom-com
The Legend of Tarzan-  Unless they took a really strange angle, not a rom-com.
The Purge: Election Year- How is this stupid concept now a trilogy? Also, not a rom-com.
Our Kind of Traitor- Not a rom-com

Yeah, no wonder Me Before You  is the rom-com of the summer.


I saw the hit rom-com of the summer on opening day, about a month ago. I wrote an initial reaction and that inspired me to start this blog. So Me Before You ended up being inspirational after all. This is my June 4th, 2016 initial reaction to Me Before You

Obligatory picture



I saw Me Before You last night. Instead of giving my thoughts on the movie, I'm going to list every moral I learned.

These are objectively the morals that the movie presented and are in no way colored by my preconceived opinion.

Trigger Warnings: Euthanasia, ableism, and bad movies

1. It's okay to hire someone with no medical background to take care of a person with complex medical needs if she is hard-working and looks pretty.

2. The binder of instructions on how to take care of the person with complex medical needs is just a suggestion and can be read at the caretaker's leisure.

3. People in wheelchairs are just like everyone else. Unless they have a neurological disability, in which case you can mock them because neurological disabilities are dumb.

4. You can be paid to cheat on your boyfriend and he's being selfish if he objects as long as the other person is considering euthanasia.

5. If someone is deeply depressed to the point of considering euthanasia, just take him to a Mozart
wind concerto instead of a mental health expert.

6. Asking for a bigger budget is the best way to cure depression.

7. Rainy beaches breed melodrama

8. People with disabilities are incapable of making decisions, unless they are deciding whether to off
themselves, in which case it is immoral to interfere.

9. The housewife who suggests that maybe it's not the best idea to let severely depressed people kill themselves should just get back to cleaning instead of pretended she knows more than medical professionals

10. Struggling to make ends meet? Get a job with a rich family and cheat on your boyfriend with their disabled son who is considering euthanasia. When he goes through with it, he'll leave you his bank account and you can get a new boyfriend.

On a serious note, the movie is actually okay on technical level. I was expecting a train wreck, but I got a competent movie with incompetent handling of the subject matter.

Which was a shame, because I couldn't even MST3K it.

No comments:

Post a Comment